Wednesday, April 15

BEDA 15

Today I was far too productive! Burned pictures onto a CD from my cousins wedding (in october of 2007) to send to her. And then burned a CD of pictures for my sorority sister who moved after freshman year and then lost all her photos - her mom asked us to send her photos and even gave us CDs to send them on. I forgot. that was 2 years ago. Wow, I suck. I'm blaming most of it on the whole not having a working CD drive for 3 years thing...


I also deep cleaned my room last night (it was a disaster!) I meant to clean for 15 minutes and then run and then sleep.. but I ended up cleaning until 3am and then waking up in time for my 8am class. I rock. And now I'm running on coffee, about to go actual running.. but thought I would do my BEDA first while I still have energy!

I promised Dara I would write about Spain.. specifically the part about the trip home. Here it is to the best of my memory!

In 2004 I went on a school trip to Spain for 10 days. There was a group from Kansas (us, we had about 30 kids) a group from oregon (they had about 12, 1 boy, 11 girls!) and another group who wasn't important. All together about 50 high schoolers traveling around together.
So let's do a brief summary of the wednesday night discoteca (on the 2nd or 3rd day of the trip) and then skip through to the airport.
On wednesday night Nikki D. decided she was going to give me a makeover. I didn't wear makeup. I was pretty much opposed to it. (just ask Angela!) But I wanted to look nice, it was Spain and I was trying new things. One of the boys in our group came to our hotel door and I answered it, all made up and wearing my cute new shirt from forever 21, he didn't recognize me at first and it was the best feeling! I felt so pretty and confident.
I sat next to an Oregonian on the bus there, Marianne, and we talked the whole time. When we got to the boat the discoteca was on the Oregon boy, Chad A, came to join our chat and we hit it off right away. He had a girlfriend. He asked her out on the swings and I thought that was the most adorable thing ever. It was Spain. He lived in Oregon. He had a girlfriend. He was safe. I'm still really shy and awkward around guys I like.. so this was a chance to not be.
We hung out the rest of the trip and this was the summer of Neff(thats a whole 'nother story of a best friend who now hates me...), so I had a lot of issues and he made me talk about it and we sang disney songs and it was just an awesome time.
airport. I don't know why we were running late, probably the long customs line.. but we were waiting to get to our plane home to the US and after we got through customs they said oh.. your plane is at this time, it's already done boarding and it's all the way across the airport, you'll just have to wait until the next flight.

At this point one of the girls broke down. She had been homesick almost the whole trip (except for when she got drunk for the first time ever on the sangria we made!) and had had so many problems like not being able to use her card, so her parents had to send money to her and they were closed or something and she didnt have any money the first half of the trip.. anyways.. she broke down about how she just wanted to go home and we were all behind her, some of the other girls were starting to tear up too- it was an emotional trip, a stressful day.
so the customs man let us through and told us to hurry but we probably wouldn't make it! So we ran through the airport. I don't think you understand! We SPRINTED! I took my flip flops off, held on to my bag and felt like I was running in a race. And yet I still had time to laugh. We all looked so ridiculous. No one was on the moving sidewalks and some guys hopped over onto it to run faster because they didn't realize it was there until they were halfway past it. I remember being behind sean who liked to wear his pants a little baggy, he was half running half limping and holding his pants up. It was amazing.
So we made it just in time. once we were on the plane we switched around a bit. Sean was on one side of me and it was supposed to be a teacher on the other side I think.. but she moved back to sit with the teacher from oregon.. which meant my new friend Chad got to sit next to me. This was after we had said goodbye to each other a million times, hugging each time because we never knew when we were going to separate for real and he would go off to Oregon and I would go to Kansas. Those were the best hugs. That was the best run. Only like 3 of our group didn't make it onto the plane, so they just got the next trip home. but we made it. and it was awesome. and no one's pants fell down.

As we landed in the US, we had to put our trays up. I think we were still on the coast.. not Kansas, but I remember it was the last leg of the trip we were traveling with the Oregon group. Sean had been sleeping on his tray, and with lack of tray he groggily laid his head on my left shoulder. Chad hadn't been sleeping as much.. but he laid his head on my right shoulder. I guess I make a great pillow.


I love good memories. Now off to run and nike+it up! i love my touch!
edit/ I ran 3 miles, gearing up to hopefully do a 5k on sunday if I can find someone to run it with me -todays time: 35 min. and I can do better, i walked a lot. but i definitely got a workout!!! it was so nice outside that I laid out afterwards and read a book, it was awesome.
also - today is KW's 21st so we will hopefully go out in about 45 minutes for a drink or 2 :) too bad she has homework :( and I do too! off to finish my wall street journal articles, I'm proud of the ones I found!

1 comment:

alyson said...

I would do it with you but i DO NOT run.
Was this spain trip part of People to People? It sounded like it, which is why I asked.
Good job being productive today! I love days like that. I'm super impressed you made it to your 8 am class. I couldn't even make it to my 9 oclock one.